Minutes of the NJCA annual business meeting
April 14, 2018, Brookdale Community College, NJ
- Call to Order: After lunch, the meeting was called to order at 12:25 by President Gina Marcello as she welcomed the attendees to the 22nd annual conference: Opening Doors, Building Bridges: Promoting Civility.
- President’s Report: She reported that through the efforts of Treasurer, Chris Caldiero, the association’s nonprofit status has been restored. In addition, she thanked Social Media Director, Chis Walker for the restoration of the NJCA website and 1st Vice President Barbara Baron for organizing this year’s conference.
- Treasurer’s Report: Christopher Caldiero reported that the NJCA has regained its nonprofit status with the IRS. In addition, there is now a PayPal account with a linked checking account. Current plans point to using the same kind of online advance registration procedure next year. Overall, the association is in good financial shape. Income is expected to cover expenses.
- Second Vice President’s Report: Todd Kelshaw announced that next year’s conference currently is scheduled for April 6, 2019 at Montclair State University with the theme: “Fun and Games” (as interpreted broadly to include ideas as diverse as Wittgenstein, gaming, sports, debate, etc. ). Dr. John Gastil will give the Keynote address. A renowned scholar in deliberative democracy, Dr. Gastil also researches group decision making and online civic engagement.
- Journal Editor’s Report: Gary Radford provided a written report on the status of Atlantic Journal of Communication (AJC) (see below). He reminded the body that the Journal has had a long history which actually predates the NJCA. Several factors demonstrate the journal’s quality and credibility, including an international reach, blind peer review, competitive acceptance rates, and being published by Taylor & Francis, the same company used by the National Communication Association. There are five issues per year with the fifth generally being a special issue. The next such special issue is being edited by Dr. Howard Giles on the topic of Group Communication.
Just a reminder that registration will close this Friday on April 6, 2018 at 12 noon.
For those who have not registered yet, please use PayPal. If you want to pay by check instead, please email Chris Caldiero and let him know.