Minutes of the NJCA meeting - April 14, 2012
Minutes of the NJCA Meeting
April 14, 2012, Monmouth University, NJ
1. Call to Order. President Michael Echols called the meeting to order at 12:45pm.
2. Approval of Minutes. Minutes of the last NJCA meeting (December 2nd, 2011) were unanimously approved without changes.
3. President’s Report. Mike praised this year’s conference, and he particularly commended many student participants. In addition, he thanked people who helped build the foundation of NJCA and invited new faces to join the association. Finally, Mike acknowledged several board members (Carol Stavraka, Robert Coles, Wenli Yuan, Todd Kelshaw and Christine Lemesianou) who decided to step down from their positions and expressed gratitude for their past contribution.
4. First Vice President’s Report. Sheila McAllister noted that the conference had been going well so far. Approximately 150 people registered for the conference. She was especially pleased with the number of student attendees. About 10 to 15 colleges/universities are represented this year, including those who never attended NJCA in the past. Sheila also reminded people to attend the award ceremony in the afternoon.
5. Treasurer’s Report. Shawn Kildea thanked Hui-Min Kuo and Todd for helping him get ready for this position. Currently NJCA’s bank account balance is approximately $12,000. Overall, NJCA is in a good financial status.
6. Membership Director’s Report. Todd Kelshaw thanked Chris Caldiero and Sheila’s students for volunteering at the conference. Till today, 148 people registered for the conference, including 73 students, 57 faculty and professionals, 18 guests and volunteers. The five institutional members are: Kean University, Saint Peter’s College, The College of New Jersey, Rutgers (MCIS), and Rutgers University (Department of Communication).
7. Journal Editor’s Report. Gary Radford reported that the Atlantic Journal of Communication (AJC) is available worldwide. This journal publishes 5 issues a year and the fifth issue is dedicated to a specific theme and guest edited by leading scholars in the field. The 2011 special issue focused on health Communication. The journal’s acceptance rate is approximately 28% and submission is now open for September 2013. The journal follows a rigorous blind review process, and Gary is calling for more reviewers.
8. NJCA Website Report. Bob Coles thanked the Board members for their support, thanked Sheila and her students for assisting with the design of NJCA logo, and thanked Andy at Rutgers for supporting the NJCA website. He looks forward to seeing more ideas to be implemented on the website.
9. Second Vice President’s Report. Chris Caldiero announced that the 2013 NJCA conference will be held at Fairleigh Dickson University. More information will be forthcoming.
10. Election. The nomination committee presented a slate of nominations for the 2012-2013 NJCA Executive Board and invited additional nominations from the floor. The following people were elected:
2012-2013 NJCA Executive Board
President Sheila McAllister-Spooner, Monmouth University
1st Vice President Chris Caldiero, Fairleigh Dickinson University
2nd Vice President Christopher Lynch, Kean University
Treasurer Shawn Kildea, Rider University
Recording Secretary Eve Plummer, Seton Hall University
Membership Director Gina Marcello, College of Saint Elizabeth
Journal Editor Gary Radford, Fairleigh Dickinson University
Internet Relations Director Vera Towle, Monmouth University
Historian Thom Gencarelli, Manhattan College
Special Projects Director Vacant
Public Relations Director Mary Harris, Monmouth University
Member At-Large 1 Todd Kelshaw, Montclair State University
Member At-Large 2 Chad Dell, Monmouth University
Member At-Large 3 Christine Lemesianou, Montclair State University
Undergraduate Student Rep. Victoria Jordan, Monmouth University
Graduate Student Rep. Ryan Dicovitsky, Montclair State University
Corporate Rep. Anthony Chiaravallo, Singlethrow Internet
Community College Rep. Gina Herrmann, Bergen Community College
K-12 Representative Stephanie Platt, Evesham Township Public School
11. Passing of the Gavel. Mike Echols turned the gavel over Sheila McAllister-Spooner.
12. The meeting was adjourned at 1:20pm.
Respectfully submitted, Wenli Yuan, Secretary