2014 NJCA Board-to-Board Meeting Minutes - 4/12/14
Provisional Minutes of the NJCA annual business meeting
April 12, 2014, Kean University, NJ
Prior to the official meeting, attendees were welcomed to the 18th annual conference of the NJCA (the third to be held at Kean) and awards were given for the top papers.
Top Undergraduate Paper = Post Traumatic Stress: A community structure approach- awarded to Stephanie Gratale, Angelica Anas, Emaleigh Kaithern, and Kelly Johnson
Top Graduate Paper = How Nonprofit Research Hospitals use Social Media: Analysis of the efficacies of effective communication usage = awarded to Demitra C. Calivas
1. Call to Order: President Christopher Caldiero called the meeting to order at 12:28pm.
2. Approval of Minutes: Minutes of the NJCA phone conference of March 31, 2014 were approved unanimously without changes.
3. President’s Report: Chris Caldiero welcomed the attendees and thanked Christopher Lynch and Kean University for the quality of this year’s conference.
4. First Vice President’s Report: Chris Lynch once again welcomed the attendees, and encouraged everyone to participate more actively in the association. In addition, he expressed a goal of increasing diverse representation from institutions throughout the state. In addition, the Kean Communication department recognized Chris Lynch with a special award.
5. Treasurer’s Report: Sheena Howard delivered the report on behalf of Shawn Kildea. Overall, the NJCA is financially sound. It is anticipated that, after completing the payments for this conference, the treasury balance will be approximately $9500.
6. Membership Director’s Report: Gina Marcello encouraged attendees to promote NJCA – particularly in social media (e.g. tweet [#njca2014] and/or “friend” NJCA on Facebook.) Earlier, Chris Lynch had announced 135 registered attendees.
7. Journal Editor’s Report: Gary Radford prepared a written report (scanned document included below. He noted that the Atlantic Journal of Communication (AJC) continues operating successfully and even predates the NJCA itself. It continues to attract high-quality submissions with an acceptance rate of 25%, rejection rate of 50%, and Revise & Resubmit rate of 25%. The July 2014 issue will feature works by John Pollock. In addition, please contact Gary if you are interested in serving as a manuscript reviewer.
8. NJCA Website Report: Vera Towle thanked the NJCA for the opportunity to serve in this role for the last three years. She reported 200 followers in Linked In. Association members are encouraged to submit material for posting.
9. Second Vice President’s Report: Barna Donovan announced that next year’s conference (the 19th) will be held on Saturday April 11, 2015 at St Peter’s University. The planned theme is “A Virtual Revolution” – with a focus on the many changes we are experiencing in a variety of areas such as teaching, careers, communities, relationships, etc.
10. Motions: Under new business, two motions for amendments were presented to the body via print-outs available on each table. As per the guidelines of the constitution and of the bylaws, both of these motions had been initiated by a majority of the executive board.
Thom Gencarelli pointed out that, going forward, the NJCA operations should also follow the procedures as outlined in the constitution in that such motions regarding the constitution/bylaws should be presented to the entire membership prior to voting—not simply to those in attendance at the conference. However, the guidelines further specify that such motions “may be altered, amended, or repealed by a two-thirds majority of votes cast at a General Meeting of the Association's membership at the Annual Conference.”
Motion #1: amends the BYLAWS Article 5, Section 10
Original Language: The Internet Relations Director shall serve a one year term and coordinate the Association's Internet site. The Internet Relations Director shall also develop other new media projects as appropriate.
New Language: The New Media Director shall serve a 3 year term and coordinate the Association’s web presence in conjunction with the other members of the board. This includes posting relevant content on the website and other social media sites, such as Facebook and LinkedIn, and providing guidance to the membership director for accessing conference registration Information. The New Media Director will seek assistance from the liaison (programmer) regarding website coding issues.
Motion #1 was passed by a hand vote of the membership in attendance.
Motion #2: amends the CONSTITUTION, Article 6, Section 2
“One additional professional member to be added to the board. Currently there is one professional member (“corporate representative”). This would increase the board elected membership by one person. Both professional members are elected or re-elected yearly.”
Motion #2 was passed by a hand vote of the membership in attendance with 4 abstentions.
11. Election: Copies of the slate of executive board positions were available on each table. Chris Caldiero reviewed which terms had expired--at which time those officers indicated either a desire to run for re-election or a desire to step down. In addition, nominations were taken from the floor. Past practice specifies that if the individual has not indicated a desire to run again at the expiration of a one year term, the position is considered vacant. Due to some situations with no nominees and/or uncertainty about an absent board member’s continued interest, certain positions were tabled in order to proceed with a vote on the remainder of the slate. Therefore, the following people were elected to the 2014-2015 NJCA Executive Board:
Immediate Past President: Christopher Caldiero, Fairleigh Dickinson University
- President: Christopher Lynch, Kean University
- 1st Vice President: Barna Donovan, St Peter’s University
- 2nd Vice President: __________________ VACANT
- Treasurer: Sheena C Howard, Rider University
- Recording Secretary: Eve Plummer, Seton Hall University
- Membership Director: Gina Marcello, Georgian Court University
- Journal Editor: Gary Radford, Fairleigh Dickinson University
- New Media Director: Laura Farrell, Kean University
- Historian: Thom Gencarelli, Manhattan College
- Special Projects Director: _________________ VACANT (13-14= Gina Herrman, BCC)
- Public Relations Director: Suzanne Schwab, Kean University
- Member At-Large 1: Todd Kelshaw, Montclair State University
- Member At-Large 2: _______________ VACANT (13-14=Christine Lemesianou, MSU)
- Member At-Large 3: John Pollock , College of New Jersey
- Undergraduate Student Rep.: Ana Zapata, St Peters University
- Graduate Student Rep.: Willie Emanuele, St Peter’s University
- Corporate Rep. #1: Anita O’Malley, Perspectiv3
- Corporate Rep. #2: Jeannine Perri, Director of Marketing, CDI , Teterboro, NJ
- Community College Rep.: David Pallant, County College of Morris
- K-12 Representative: Mary Ellen Burns
12. Passing of the Gavel: Christopher Caldiero turned the gavel over to Christopher Lynch.
13. The meeting was adjourned at 12:55pm.
Respectively submitted. Evelyn Plummer, recording secretary